Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fun and Frugal Snacks

In an effort to save some money on our grocery bills, I like to shop the bulk section of the grocery store. Whole Foods offers inexpensive organic versions of most bulk items, so I can save money while still offering my family nutritious organic options.

Beautiful array of bulk choices... looks so nice, you hardly think it can save you money!
Image Source

Everyone is a little dazed the first time they shop bulk!
Image Source

So what's my fun and frugal snack today?  Roasted pumpkin seeds! Of course, now is the perfect time of year to get your pumpkin seeds the fun way, right out of your fall pumpkins. You already bought it, so why not get more out of it than just a cute seasonal decoration? Kids can help carve and separate the pulp from the seeds. Less work for you, and it gives the little ones something fun and messy (but not too messy) to do.


Yesterday, I roasted two batches of pumpkin seeds. I wanted to have a sweet snack and a savory snack, so I found two recipes and waited until Luke and Maggie were napping - sometimes, just sometimes, I have that sweet moment when both children nap at the same time!


Spicy Savory Pumpkin Seeds

  • about 1.5 cups of pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp paprika (or smoked paprika)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • a few shakes of red pepper flakes
Our spicy snack - yum!


Cinnamon Sweet Pumpkin Seeds
  • about 1.5 cups of pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp sugar (I use turbinado sugar, but be careful, as it caramelizes quickly)
Our sweet snack - already down to the bottom of the jar! We demolished these in just a day!

I put foil on two baking sheets, set oven to 325 degrees, then roasted seeds in a single layer for about 25 minutes. I stirred every 7-8 minutes or so. The house smelled awesome after I roasted these! My husband came home, sniffed, and wondered what I had been making all day - ha! 

Now, for the grand total.... For about 3 cups of organic pumpkin seeds at Whole Foods, I spent $2.39. I had all the spices, sugar, butter, and oil in my pantry already. I made two delicious and nutritious snacks with $2.39! Compare that to the pre-packaged spicy pumpkin seeds I found here. You could spend $2.99 for a 4-ounce bag (which equals 1/2 cup). That means that by buying in bulk and roasting the seeds yourself, you save over $15!


I linked this post Traditional Tuesdays at Whole New Mom and Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife. Check them out!







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Traditional Tuesdays! The pumpkin seeds look yummy. I've got a pumpkin for Thanksgiving and I think I'll try your cinnamon sweet recipe.

    I'm running a holiday real food recipe link up at http://www.cookingTF.com/2011/11/11/traditional-foods-holiday-recipes-round-up/ This post would be perfect if you'd like to join in. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete